Sunday, June 9, 2013

Terns, turtles and gulls, but no Booby

I left my boat slip at sunrise just a few mornings ago.
This Double-crested Cormorant is already drying itself off in the early morning sun.
I'll be looking high and low for the Brown Booby, but I know my chances are slim.
Common Terns are nesting on Cockenoe Island.
That is Peck's Ledge Lighthouse in the back round.
The sand spit on Cockenoe Island had a lone American Oystercatcher sitting on it's nest.
Other oystercatchers have already hatched their chicks, I saw at least ten oystercatcher chicks running about on this island, still a few adults are nesting.

One of several Willet

I notice this turtle making it's way out of the water and up a sandy shoreline area of Cockenoe Island.

For those not familiar with Cockenoe Island, there is very little fine sandy are to be found, but this Diamondback Terrapin found it....

...and started digging a hole to lay her eggs... I left her alone, wished her good luck, and went on my way, wow was that incredible!
I must mention that this turtle is nesting only feet away from public campsites that thankfully have been closed for the season due to Sandy.

Back on the main bar at Cockenoe sits this Common Tern,
a close look...

...shows a metal band, but not clear on the id numbers.

Behind the tern, oystercatchers are having a loud early morning squabble.
 
You fill in the Drakes words for this one? P.U?

One of only a few Least Terns sitting on nest

Although I had a total count of five hundred Common Terns on the sand spit.

The green vegetation is slowly returning, this spot had been wiped clean by Sandy.

Not Cool!

Great Black-backed Gulls eggs are just hatching.

a few more chicks.
This Black Tern just finished a bath as I caught him preening on Cockenoe Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment